Thursday, January 21, 2010

What 100 Stars Want Most in 1956 - John Agar


Since I have got off my resolutions a bit (aside from reading a vintage book a week), I thought I would find out what some stars wished for back in the day. I found this fun 1956 Movieland article listing 100 stars and what they wanted. Today's star is John Agar, probably best known for marrying Shirley Temple, whom he was divorced from in 1949. Acting wise, he basically ended up being a B Sci-fi movie regular starring in such classics as: Tarantula (1955), The Mole People (1956), The Brain from Planet Arous (1958), and Invisible Invaders (1959). I've seen Tarantula and The Mole People, and I enjoy them for the cheese factor. I am a total big fan of B Sci-fi 1950s films. I even did my senior dissertation on the subject in college. John Agar's wishes:

  • My wife and I want to stay as happy as we are (Not Shirley in 1956)
  • The more pictures I can do, the happier I'll be
  • As a citizen, I feel that Hollywood is coming to realize the great good it can do, and I hope our films point a way for a better life for everyone, everywhere. A lot of people don't believe in "massage" pictures. I do. I believe in them all the way from "The Ten Commandments" to "On the Waterfront"

Not bad wishes. Can't say I've ever heard the term "massage" pictures.

Up next - Lana Turner & Lex Barker as well as William Bishop

3 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Hi sweet dear, I really want to extend my sincere thanks to you for your lovely comments this month. I apologize if it sometimes takes me a wee bit of time to return the visit and enjoy the delightful beauty and inspiration of your site. Please know that I always appreciate your visits and the thoughts you share with me so very much!

Oodles of hugs & wishes of happiness,
♥ Jessica

Anonymous said...

I am sure that "massage" was a typo and he meant message pictures which in this context to me would be defined as the film conveys a political or moral meaning. i.e. The moral of little red riding hood is don't talk to strangers. The moral of 10 Commandment is religous in nature and there has been disertations done on the moral of On the Waterfront, so I won't attempt comment on that.
Hope this clarifies things for you and I just wanted to comment and say this blog is great I just found it on Greg's site. I definately will be reading more. keep up the good work. thanks

A said...

Thanks for everyone's great comments.

As to "massage" pictures, I copied it from the magazine and that's what they wrote, so perhaps it was their typo. I know the term definitely has a different connotation today

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This