Saturday, March 6, 2010

Vintage Book of the Day - LBJ Barbecue Cook Book by Walter Jetton


For some great info on the Johnson Barbecues, check out Barbecue Diplomacy.












And of course these last two make the strange recipe list. I would definitely be one of the people turning these recipes down if Walter offered them. The thought of Beef Heart makes me ill.  And don't get me started on the Calf Fries. Would someone please let me know when eating animal private parts became a good idea? According to epicurious, there were recipes in Gourmet for them as far back as 1942.

4 comments:

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

I have that exact same cookbook!! I love all of the illustrations in it! I have yet to make anything from it though, shame on me!

A said...

Don't feel bad, I have tons of cookbooks I haven't touched yet either :)

Gloria said...

Saw this on Pinterest! Thanks for sharing! :)
Best,
Gloria

Julie Kirby said...

I remember my Mom cooking a beef heart ... It looked exactly what it sounds like, not a big fan of organ meat except liver pâte ... Think I ate hot dogs that night (which probably had beef heart and more!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This