Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout

Sydney Greenstreet as Nero Wolfe

When I think Nero Wolfe, I envision Sydney Greenstreet, since the only exposure I've had to Nero Wolfe is the radio program he starred in. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the books, so I've waited to give this one a try. Another case of should not judge a book by its cover. The book follows Paul Chapin and a group of men who had been responsible for his crippling when they went to college. The group has formed a league to try to make amends for their prank gone wrong, but begin to get scared when members of the league starts to turn up missing or dead. 

The League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout

What I found interesting about this book was from the very beginning, you were basically given the killer. The rest of the book involved trying to find ways in which to convict Paul Chapin. The journey was a fascinating exploration into human nature and psychology. I found the thought process of Wolfe, his helper Archie, and the surrounding characters intriguing. The characters were so fully developed that I found their eccentricities completely believable and endearing.  Stout has a real gift for language, and that became one of the great features of the book. I enjoyed Stout's voice immensely, and I can't wait until I have the chance to read another Nero Wolfe book. I found myself only reading a bit every day because it was a treat, a little morsel of mystery goodness I felt privileged to read.


The League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout

The League of Frightened Men
Rex Stout
Pyramid Books R-919
1935

1 comment:

Mim said...

I've never read any Nero Wolfe stories - I shall add them to my rewading list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This