Saturday, November 16, 2013

Links of the Week

Lt. Gen. James H. Doolittle (R) with Gen. George S. Patton saluting as they review troops after landing at airfield.

Daytonian in Manhattan highlights the Humphrey Bogart House, where little Humphrey Bogart was born in 1899.



DC Metro Retro with some great information about wearing vintage eye wear.


BuzzFeed brings to light all the reasons why I, and others, are like Charlie Brown.  Too true.


June Havoc and her pet toucan; 1950

November 8th was June Havoc's 100th.  Radio Classics played one of my all-time favorite episodes of Suspense in honor of her, "The Black Angel" (Eve), recorded on January 24, 1948.  It was written by Cornel Woolrich, one of the best writers of the 20th century.  His books, and radio plays based on his work, are so chilling and delicious, that it saddens me he is not better known today.  If you ever get a chance, listen to "The Black Angel".  It's amazing!


I loved the story of the Doolittle Raiders making their final toast.  They just don't make men like that any more.


Old school slang I've learned from a book - From Mayhem in B Flat by Elliot Paul (written in 1950): "Orphan's Caviar" = Tapioca Pudding.  I assume it's because Tapioca Pudding is sort of like the texture of caviar, but much cheaper.  Or is it because it's like mush, which if Oliver Twist is to be believed, is what orphans ate.  Either way, there is no way I'm eating Tapioca.  I fancier name does not hide the disturbing texture.


Nat Pendleton

Comet Over Hollywood has a great feature on one of my favorite character actors, Nat Pendleton.  I have to admit I did not know anything about his life, so it was fun to learn a little bit more about him.


Mental Floss re-introduces 56 Delightful Victorian Slang Words.


Daytonian in Manhattan has a cool post about the former Mad Hatter Tearoom in New York.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This