Sunday, June 15, 2014

Vintage Inspiration - The Dinah Shore Show



As you all know, I love vintage films and television.  Lately I have been obsessed with the vintage shows on JLTV.  One of them is the Dinah Shore Show.  Dinah Shore was a fantastic singer who had several variety shows.  Lately JLTV has been playing the Dinah Shore Chevy Show (1957-1963).  It's a variety show which usually has a comic, a dance act, a singer, a musician, and of course, Dinah sings some lovely songs.  One of the cool things about it is I find out about some lovely acts I did not know about.  And frankly, some are next to impossible to find out about.  A recent episode I watched was the April 24, 1960 episode.  Some of the cool acts that day were:





Mata & Hari, a pantomime dance team made up of Ruth Mata and Eugene Hari, stage names of course.  It's very difficult to find information about them except that they were quite popular and had shows in many well known locations.  I loved their dances.  I wish I could find more video of them.  Their routines on Dinah's show were fantastic.




Another performer on Dinah's show was Dwayne Hickman.  He is best known as a child actor, namely television's Dobie Gillis.  He did a fun sketch about falling in love with his teacher, played by the lovely Dinah.  He also sang, which was fun.




Jazz musician Red Norvo appeared in this episode.  He and Dinah made a record together.  Norvo played the xylophone.  His skits with Dinah were wonderful.





Of course, I can't ignore the main guest star, George Burns.  George Burns is a well loved iconic comedian.  His comedy is not my favorite, but I do appreciate his longevity and influence on the comedy world.  I think his skit/song with Dinah was quite funny.  It plays on George Burns' routine with wife Gracie Allen and being known for his bad singing voice.  I don't think it was all that bad, but I understand the bit.





Be sure to check out some of Dinah's shows if you get the chance.  I love listening to Dinah's lovely voice, watching her fun guests, and seeing her fabulous wardrobe.  No wonder she was voted one of the best dressed television stars.  If only television was this glamorous and talented today!
  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This