Monday, June 23, 2014

Week in Review

Films of the Week





  • They Wanted to Marry (1937) - Betty Furness (Sheila), Gordon Jones (Jim), E.E. Clive (Styles), Patsy Parsons (Patsy), Henry Kolker (Mr. Hunter)



  • Woman in the Window (1944) - Edward G. Robinson (Professor Richard Wanley), Joan Bennett (Alice Reed), Raymond Massey (Frank Lalor, District Attorney), Edmund Breon (Dr. Michael Barkstane), Dan Duryea



  • Scarlet Street (1946) - Edward G. Robinson (Christopher Cross), Joan Bennett (Katherine "Kitty" March), Dan Duryea (Johnny Prince), Margaret Lindsay (Millie Ray), Rosalind Ivan (Adele Cross)









  • The Haunted Palace (1963) - Vincent Price (Charles Dexter Ward/Joseph Curwen), Debra Paget (Ann Ward), Lon Chaney Jr. (Simon Orne)


Links of the Week








?, Marlene Dietrich, and Gary Cooper

  • It's no surprise to my readers that I love the site Glamour Daze.  There is an amazing post about Marlene Dietrich's suit craze.  For those of you vintage lovers, Marlene's suit caused just as much of a stir as the infamous Jennifer Lopez dress.  Before that, most women wore solely dresses, but Marlene made it o.k., and frankly, cool to wear pants.  And look where it went?  Now it's unusual to see a woman in a dress on the street.


  • Have you been wondering what to read this summer?  Movie Morlocks has a great list of film related books for a great summer read.  Almost every book on this list is on my "to read" list.  




  • I've never been able to figure out what to do with my vacuum attachments.  They seem a mystery, so I was thrilled when I found this cool guide on Popular Mechanics about Vacuum Attachments.  I have been particularly confused about what the turbo does.  It turns out I've been using the wrong tool to vacuum the stairs.  Bummer!  Now I know, and knowing's have the battle (so G.I. Joe says).






  • GlamourDaze has really been on point this week.  The site also features a fascinating article on the WPA Project to Standardize Dress Sizes.  I was fascinated by the process and results.  Everyone would wear the same undergarments and the WPA staff would measure 100,000 women and create dress sizes based on this.  Who knew?  WPA seemed like a golden time where art and function flourished.  I wish there was something useful for those of us who are unemployed or underemployed to do that was helpful and beautiful.

  • Thanks to Laura's Miscellaneous Musings for the tip about Lou Lumenick posting 64 Clips of Movies Not Available on DVD.  While many are from the 1970's and don't sound like anything I'm interested in, there is a clip from the infamous Letty Lynton.  I'm totally intrigued, but worried that if we finally are able to see it, it won't be good.  I've wanted to see it FOREVER.  Hopefully in my lifetime things can be solved with the heirs.  No one remembers the play it allegedly plagiarizes, but their are thousands of classic film lovers who would love a chance to see the infamous film.  Come on, be cool heirs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This